Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Sweetest Gift

In the short 2 years I have been working as a physical therapist, my patients have blessed me about as much as I have helped them. Mostly it is through their wisdom and insight about life in general and in particular dealing with pain and physical limitations... but sometimes they enjoy showering me with physical gifts also.

About a month ago, a patient of mine (who, for the sake of maintaining HIPAA regulations, shall remain nameless!) asked me whether or not Shiloh plays with dolls. I was momentarily taken aback but replied, "Yes, she is quite the little mommy!" This sweet lady then said, "Well, I had some leftover yarn and I started crocheting to take my mind off things, and I think it's turned into a perfect sized baby doll blanket. I'll bring it to you next week." I was really impressed with her thoughtfulness and this act of kindness, and I told her she was too sweet and that I knew Shiloh would love it. Let me mention to you that this is a lady who was in a LOT of pain, day in and day out, and was able to find some relief in the water... so when she said she was trying to take her mind off of things, I knew exactly what she was referring to. (On a side note, she had also told me some of the coolest stories about things she has done in her life, and although I cannot share them with you, just know that they are really inspiring! She is a very neat and incredibly talented lady.)

The next week rolls around and at the end of her treatment session, she mentions, "Oh, I left a bag for you on the table over there. I hope Shiloh likes it. It turned out a little bit bigger than I had thought. And I also included something for you... and every time you use it, I want you to remember that I'm praying for you." I thanked her again and silently marveled at her generosity and kindness.

Well, that "little bit bigger" turned out to be a full-sized child's blanket... with multiple colors of "leftover" yarn! It's beautiful and my daughter, who has always been a blanket kinda girl (she still calls them "bees" most of the time) adores this blanket! She sleeps with it every night.

Blanket 1

Shiloh's sweet blanket

The extra little "something" for me was a crocheted dishcloth, much too beautiful to use as one! I will always remember this lady, our conversations, and her sweet thoughtfulness during a time in her life when she suffered through significant physical ailments. I'm so thankful God places people in my life to show me things in the most unexpected and perfect ways!

1 comment:

Sara Hamilton said...

Wow. That is amazing. What a blessing indeed. =)