Saturday, June 6, 2009

English Muffin bread

English muffin bread, fresh from the oven

English muffin bread 2

A fantastic recipe I found here (one of my favorite foodie blogs).

English Muffin Bread
3 c. flour
2 1/2 t. yeast (or 1 packet)
2 t. sugar
1 t. salt
1/8 t. baking powder
1 c. milk
1/4 c. water
Corn meal, for dusting the pan

1. In a mixing bowl, combine 2 c. flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix for 1 minute.
2. While flour is mixing, pour milk and water into a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until warm, about 2 minutes (She did this in the microwave for 45-60 seconds). Pour into mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes.
3. Add remaining cup of flour, 1/2 a cup at a time, and mix for 3-5 minutes (or knead by hand for 5-7 minutes). Dough will be somewhat sticky.
4. Grease a loaf pan and sprinkle with cornmeal (I used a 91/4 x 51/4 x 31/4 inch loaf pan). Spread dough into pan, cover and let rise for 45 minutes. (She preheated her oven to warm, then turned it off, put the loaf in the front of the oven and cracked the oven door. It only took 30 minutes for the bread to raise to the top of the loaf pan.)
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.

1 comment:

Keli B. said...

Love bread. ADORE English Muffins.
I think I'll be trying this recipe out very soon! Thanks for sharing!