
Yep. That's him alright.
Lately, Shiloh has been on this kick of naming things. It came out of the blue, really! We were getting in the car one day and I handed Shi her plush giraffe to keep her entertained, and the following interaction occurred:
Me: "Here you go, Shi. Here's your giraffe."
Shi: (nods once) "Rondo."
(Nick and I exchange puzzled glances)
Me: "What did you say?"
Shi: (more emphatically this time) "Rondo!"
Nick: "Did you say Rondo?"
Shi: (grinning)
Me: "His name is Rondo? Did you name him Rondo?"
Shi: "Yeah."
Nick and I were a little shocked, and unsure when she had developed the knack for naming things. And more importantly, where had she heard the name Rondo?? Certainly it couldn't be from this guy, because he's been gone from UK for a while, and even if he hadn't, Nick wouldn't allow his name to be spoken in our house (read: U of L fan).
Later that day, Nick asked her what her name was, to which Shi responded, "Deedee." When Nick questioned her, asking, "Your name is Deedee?", she again nodded and confirmed, "Deedee." A large part of the rest of that day she insisted we call her Deedee. Periodically, she will resort back to this... just ask our babysitter, who will confirm!
This notion of naming things does not work on command, though. Every time I ask her what her baby doll's name is, she simply repeats, "Name." So I'll try a different approach and ask, "What do you want to call her?" In response to this, she puts the baby doll up to her ear, tilts her head, and says, "Hewwooohhhh??" [Hello]
And just the other day, my friend Danielle met Shiloh and me at the Summit to do some browsing, and Shi kept telling D. about someone named, "Bobby." Again, the conversation which ensued was something along the lines of:
D: "Who is Bobby?"
Shi: "Bobby, Bobby!"
D: "Is Bobby your friend?"
Shi: "Yesh." (Yesh = the result of Mommy trying to make her pronounce the end "s" sound of "yes".)
D: "Is Bobby a boy or a girl?"
Shi: (confused look, then nods)
And, well, you can't really blame her for not knowing... Bobby is a pretty gender-neutral name :)
I later asked her if "Bobby" was one of her friends from school. She responded, "Yesh," thus confirming "Bobby's" imaginary status. But what else would you expect from Little Miss-chevious (pictured below)?

And yesh, she still calls him Rondo.
2 comments:
That last shot is such a cute picture!
I love that she's come up with Rondo totally on her own. :-) When I was about Shiloh's age, my name for both myself and the evening meal was "Din-din;" I babysit for a little girl whose name, Emily, is also the name of every stuffed animal she owns.
Ha! Fantastic - I love the name and think she is going to be a very imaginative girl. David Michael is still waiting to meet you guys one of these days!
Post a Comment